This content is imported from YouTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
Thank you so much for attending Alta Live with writer Stacey Grenrock Woods, Alta Journal editor at large Mary Melton, and Alta Live host Beth Spotswood. If you missed any part of our conversation, you can catch up right here.
Here are some notable quotes from the event:
- On that story from the New York Times: “‘Turning into’ is such a weird and loaded phrase for me. It implies that there’s something wrong with it. And what I got out of it is something that someone else describes as like this baseless scorn that they level on us.” –Stacey Grenrock Woods
- On if Los Angeles did what New York does: “There are frequently articles on the front page of the New York Times where it refers to itself, the city, in a way that feels like 1907 in the way that they’re talking about the city. Can New York become the greatest city in the world again? If I dropped into that—can Los Angeles become the greatest city in the world again—and that came from the Los Angeles Times, I would be so embarrassed for the Los Angeles Times.” –Mary Melton
- On advice to future writers on Los Angeles: “We understand it, this is an odd place to you, it might feel like another planet, but we have been doing this for a long time. It is a nice lifestyle. I’ve never sought another lifestyle. Just be open to it—you don’t necessarily need to label it an L.A. lifestyle.” –Stacey Grenrock Woods
- On parachute journalism: “You would really have to be at basically Goop headquarters for 48 hours to walk away from some of these stories that you read in the Style section.” –Mary Melton
Check out these links to some of the topics brought up this week.
- Read “A City of Dreams” by Stacey Grenrock Woods.
- Read “Opinion: Why Do New York Times Columnists Despise California?” by Ishmael Reed.
- Read “Is New York Turning into Los Angeles?” from the New York Times.
- Read “How the New York Times Gets Los Angeles Hilariously Wrong: The Bingo Game” from Curbed.
- Read “Op-Ed: New York Is a Livable Place—Who Knew?” from the L.A. Times.
- Read “Column: For Cramped New York, an Expanding Dining Scene” from the L.A. Times.
- Read “Donald Trump, Real Estate Promoter, Builds Image as He Buys Buildings” from the New York Times.
- Read “What Comes Next for the Most Empty Downtown in America” from the New York Times.
- Check out the “High Desert Handbook” by Stacey Grenrock Woods, from Alta’s desert issue.•