Major Tom drifting from Earth. Alien robots breakdancing. Satellites of love. Since the Apollo missions in the 1960s, cosmic mysteries have inspired countless pop hits. With years of music at our fingertips, we set out to find two songs that capture the mood of the space age, decade by decade. Whether you dream about walking on the moon or simply feel like a star-crossed lover, you’ll find this to be one stellar “best of” list.
- “Across the Universe,” by the Beatles
- “Space Oddity,” by David Bowie
- “Rocket Man,” by Elton John
- “Shining Star,” by Earth, Wind & Fire
- “Major Tom,” by Peter Schilling
- “Space Is the Place,” by Newcleus
- “Black Hole Sun,” by Soundgarden
- “Intergalactic,” by the Beastie Boys
- “Drops of Jupiter,” by Train
- “Supermassive Black Hole,” by Muse
- “Starships,” by Nicki Minaj
- “A Sky Full of Stars,” by Coldplay
- “Floating Through Space,” by Sia and David Guetta
- “Moon,” by Kanye West
This article appears in the Summer 2022 issue of Alta Journal.